The start of a new year typically ushers in trend predictions, and 2021 presents home improvement retailers with an especially keener sense of what’s to come. With consumers housebound in 2020 due to the pandemic, many of them focused on updating their interiors, including flooring.
Based on those buying patterns and looking ahead, Flooring America/Flooring Canada, a North American cooperative of over 500 locally owned flooring retailers, announced its 2021 Style Watch, a “floorcast” of this year’s top 10 most distinctive flooring trends.
Here's a quick overview of Flooring America/Flooring Canada’s 2021 Style Watch:
- Going Gray. The color gurus at Pantone named Ultimate Gray as pick for color of the year, and this is true when it comes to flooring. Wide luxury vinyl planks with the natural appearance of authentic hardwood in shades of gray will be hot this year. Not only for the look but for its durability and waterproof qualities that make it a great choice for laundry rooms, playrooms, and other areas of a home where accidents are likely to occur.
- Farmhouse Chic. Farmhouse chic has been a huge trend when it comes to interiors and furnishings –and now the flooring industry offers amazing options that combine the distinct antique, well-worn look with modern technology. Luxury vinyl flooring (durable and made for high performance) that has a natural wood appearance with textured planks that look aged and worn will be a top option this year.
- Distressed For Success. White weathering on genuine hickory hardwood emphasizes the natural beauty of this wood floor’s mineral streaks, knots, and natural character, making distressed a highly sought selection for shoppers who want to create a modern space with a timeless vintage vibe.
- Super Sized Ceramic. Look for over-sized, rectangular, stone-look ceramic tiles in light neutrals like gray, white and cream to be installed for those looking for flooring that marries style, durability and efficiency..
- Loving Laminate. There are so many varieties of laminate that bring a distinct wood-look into a room, but in the laminate category watch for ashy browns that include unique graining and contrasting brown hues to rule.
- Waterproof Hardwood. In 2020, the new generation of waterproof real hardwood floors was one the most significant new products in the industry – and the category shows no signs of slowing in popularity for 2021. Perfect for active homes with pets and kids, designs with unique wire-brushed finishes will maintain their reign.
- Sage Is The Rage. When it comes to soft surface, consumers seek softness, durability and stain resistance and that won’t change this year. What is predicted is a surge in slightly left of neutral non-traditional colors, particularly hues of sage.
- Playing With Pattern. What else is in the crystal ball when it comes to the carpet floorcast? Unique, striated pattern, highlighted by a loop-cut carpet, is ideal for homes looking for a touch of modern, contemporary, and industrial design. Shades of gray will again be prominently seen to complement the design.
- Statement Carpets. Hand-in-hand with the pattern prediction is the “statement” carpet. There are striking options in soft surface, from the beautiful movement of arabesque to distinctive elevated patterns that make a design statement from the ground up.
- Talking Texture. Another soft surface trend in 2021 will be mixed texture in carpet. Loop-cut-loop provides a textured look that is both modern and masculine, but also delivers durability, stain, and fade resistance.
For more information on Flooring America/Flooring Canada’s 2021 styles to watch, including details, product descriptions, and availability, please visit https://www.flooringamerica.com/blog/top-flooring-trends-2021