Starnet Commercial Flooring has revealed the winners in corporate design for Starnet Design Awards. Office space design contributes to improved employee retention, recruitment, and productivity. It is not just an amortized asset, but a strategic tool used for competitive advantages by small businesses and Fortune 500 companies. Each is designed using a variety of flooring materials to address ergonomics, acoustics, indoor air quality, durability, and cleanability.
On center stage is the Starnet Flooring Contractor Network’s professionalism to flawlessly execute the best possible outcomes. As leading contract flooring experts, the Starnet network annually performs more than $1 billion dollars in the segment throughout the United States and Canada. Now in its 23rd year, the annual competition honors the outstanding projects completed by the membership in partnership with the architects, designers and Starnet aligned manufacturing partners. New this year, Starnet will announce the gold category winners monthly, culminating with the Grand Prize Winner announcement in October 2021.
The judging panel included: Andrea Hanson, AIA, WELL AP, principal, architect, licensed interior designer, Dekker/Perich/Sabatini; Alison Woolf | LEED AP associate principal, design director, Huntsman Architectural Group; and Cecelia Baumann, senior interior design student, Savannah College of Art and Design.
Gold Award Winner: Consolidated Flooring of Chicago
Gold in corporate was awarded to Consolidated Flooring of Chicago for its work on the Komatsu headquarters. As one of the world’s leading manufacturers and suppliers of earth-moving equipment, the brand needed an equally groundbreaking headquarters. Its new corporate offices in Chicago, Illinois, celebrate the industry while adding a level of design sophistication via simple materials and neutral color palette. Flooring plays a key role in this design story by providing a continuity of colors, textures, and materials across four floors—helping guide staff and guests throughout the space.
“This is a standout corporate project,” said Design Awards Judge Andrea Hanson, AIA, WELL AP, principal, architect, licensed interior designer, Dekker/Perich/Sabatini. “It pairs a neutral color palette with smart flooring material choices and a restrained yet elegant design aesthetic.” Fellow Judge Cecelia Baumann, senior interior design student, Savannah College of Art and Design, added, “I really enjoyed the contrast between the flooring choices—blending hard and soft surfaces made sense for the brand and industry while helping to contribute to wayfinding and acoustics.”
- Project Name: Komatsu HQ Relocation
- Starnet Member: Consolidated Flooring of Chicago
- Architect and Designer: Partners by Design
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Armstrong Flooring, Inc., J+J Flooring, MAPEI, Tarkett Johnsonite
Silver Award Winner: Diversify
The silver in corporate was awarded to Starnet Member Diverzify for the company’s work at a Jules Verne-themed corporate office located in Southern, Wisconsin.
- Project Name: Jules Verne
- Starnet Member: Diverzify
- Designer: Cunningham Group Architecture, Inc.
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Chapco Adhesives, MAPEI, Milliken Commercial, Tarkett, Tarkett Johnsonite, Tarkett Tandus, Tarkett Centiva
Bronze Award Winner: M. Frank Higgins & Co.
The bronze in Corporate was awarded to Starnet Member M. Frank Higgins & Co., Inc. for the company’s work at their new office and warehouse location in Berlin, Connecticut.
- Project Name: Higgins Flooring
- Starnet Member: M. Frank Higgins & Co., Inc.
- Designer: Five Hills Design
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Amtico, ARDEX, Daltile, J+J Flooring, MAPEI, Milliken Commercial, NeverStrip Floor Coatings, Roppe, XL North Chemical Co.
Honorable Mention: Resource New Jersey
Honorable mention was awarded to Starnet Member ReSource New Jersey for the company’s work at NBC Regional Sports Chicago Studio located in Chicago, Illinois.
- Project Name: NBC Regional Sports Chicago Studio, Chicago,Illinois
- Starnet Member: ReSource New Jersey
- Designer: Jack Morton Worldwide
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: ARDEX, Spray-Lock, Tarkett Tandus, Tarkett Centiva