Starnet Commercial Flooring, the world’s largest network of full-service commercial flooring contractors, reveals the 2022 Starnet Design Awards Grand Prize Winner. Now in its 24th year, the annual competition honors the outstanding projects completed by the organization’s members in partnership with architects, designers and Starnet aligned manufacturing partners.
Gold category winners were selected by a panel of judges in six categories including Corporate, Education, Healthcare, Hospitality and Public Spaces, Mixed-Use Developments, and Canadian Project of the Year. Each gold category winner contended for the overall 2022 Starnet Grand Prize award. In addition, Starnet announced the coveted People’s Choice Winners, which are nominated by Starnet Members and Preferred Vendor Partners.
“This year we received and incredible lineup of project entries across the network of partners throughout the United States and Canada,” said Mark Bischoff, president and CEO of Starnet Worldwide Commercial Flooring Partnership. “After two years of wide-ranging challenges, including long lead times, product shortages, and a tight labor market, our members continue to showcase their grit, determination, and installation excellence as entrepreneurs. The breadth of the projects delivered this year prove the true value of Starnet—the power of collaboration, and partnering with a professional flooring contractor,” he added.
Grand Prize Winner & Gold in Commercial | CB Flooring, LLC
The 2022 Grand Prize was presented to Starnet Member CB Flooring, LLC for its work on the dazzling new Armstrong Flooring Headquarters and Design Center. The newly refurbished and expanded corporate center is located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. With its masterful use of bright colors and a mix of patterns and textures across multiple Armstrong product lines, the layout flows from room to room and communal space to private—showcasing commercial flooring design in the process.
- Starnet Member: CB Flooring, LLC
- Designer: Spiezle
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: ARDEX, Armstrong Flooring, Inc.
Gold in Healthcare | LVR Commercial Flooring
Starnet Member LVR Commercial Flooring took home Gold in Healthcare for its work on University Medical Center Emergency Center Pediatric and Radiology Renovation. The state-of-the-art facility in Lubbock, TX was triumphantly transformed into a brightly colored pediatric-friendly area by creating a new and dedicated children’s entrance and waiting area.
- Starnet Member: LVR Commercial Flooring
- Architect: Condray Design Group, Inc.
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: ARDEX, Daltile, Henry Adhesives, Mannington Commercial, Roppe, Johnsonite by Tarkett, Tarkett Tandus Centiva
Gold in Education | LVR Commercial Flooring
All Saints Episcopal School is committed to providing the best education and best learning environment for their students. So, when their Primary Learning Center was in need of a refreshing update, they wanted a fun atmosphere that stimulated learning and promoted creativity. That’s when LVR Commercial Flooring came in and created this Gold Award winning educational project.
- Starnet Member: LVR Commercial Flooring
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: ARDEX, Henry Adhesives, Milliken Commercial, Roppe, Six Degrees Flooring Surfaces, XL Brands
Gold in Hospitality/Public Space | H.J. Martin & Sons, Inc.
Gold in Hospitality/Public Space was awarded to H.J. Martin & Sons, Inc. for its work on the newly opened Resch Expo Center in Green Bay, WI. The sprawling facility has become an eye-catching neighbor to Lambeau Field along Lombardi Avenue. Visitors and residents alike have been enjoying the size, spectacle, and energy the new 266,000-square-foot space has brought to the area. Through tradeshows, meetings, conventions, and concerts the $93 million structure welcomes all with thoughtfully designed spaces made for gatherings, football, or otherwise.
- Starnet Member: H.J. Martin & Son, Inc.
- Architect: Kahler Slater
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Altro, Daltile, Henry Adhesives, Johnsonite by Tarkett, MAPEI, Milliken Commercial, Tarkett Collection, Uzin Utz North America, Inc.
Gold in Mixed-Use Developments | Corporate Floors, Inc.
Starnet Member Corporate Floors, Inc. was awarded the Gold in Mixed-Use Developments for its work on Watermere at Southlake. Located in Southlake, TX, the luxury senior living community was originally designed over a decade ago and was in need of an updated aesthetic. It was critical for the design to be consistent with the expectations of longtime residents as well as new homeowners. With careful consideration of the existing architecture, finishes, furniture, and artwork that would remain, flooring designs and color palettes were curated to ensure the updates blended seamlessly.
- Starnet Member: Corporate Floors, Inc.
- Designer: Professional Design Concepts
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: ARDEX, Milliken Commercial, Uzin Utz North America, Inc., XL Brands
Canadian Project of the Year | Beatty Floors, LTD.
The second annual “Canadian Project of the Year” distinction was awarded to Beatty Floors, Ltd. for its work on the Vancouver Convention Center. Originally built in 2009 as the world's first double LEED Platinum certified convention facility, it was in need of a refresh after twelve years of daily use.
- Starnet Member: Beatty Floors, Ltd.
- Architect: MCM Interiors
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: ARDEX, Milliken Commercial
Gold in Unique Installation Challenge | B. T. Mancini Co., Inc.
Gold in Unique Installation Challenge was awarded to B. T. Mancini Co., Inc. for their work on the Robert S. and Star Pepper Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Mercy San Juan Medical Center in Sacramento, CA. The facility is specially designed to care for babies born prematurely or with serious medical conditions. One of the challenges of the project was designing patient rooms with enough space not only for infants and parents, but also for an unusually large amount of medical equipment. The facility has 16 single- patient rooms and eight pods with beds for three patients.
- Starnet Member: B. T. Mancini Co., Inc.
- Architect: HGA Architects
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Johnsonite by Tarkett, Tarkett Collection, Uzin Utz North America, Inc.
Gold in People’s Choice | Howard’s Rug Company
Starnet Member Howard’s Rug Company was awarded People’s Choice gold for its work on the Quidel Corporation’s new manufacturing and distribution center in Carlsbad, California. Designed and built during the pandemic, the 128,897 sq. ft. facility was completed in just nine months to manufacture and expedite Covid-19 testing kits for countries around the world.
- Starnet Member: Howard’s Rug Company
- Architect: McFarlane Architects
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Flexco, Johnsonite by Tarkett, Mannington Commercial, Milliken Commercial, Tarkett Collection
The Judging Panel
An elite panel of architects and designers lent their talent and expertise to this year’s judging panel:
- Cecelia Baumann, Project Interior Design Specialist at Gravity Architecture and Design
- Jena Kissinger, Interior Designer, Huntsman Architectural Group
- Rosa G. Salazar, RID, IIDA, ASID, Director of Interior Design at Condray Design Group
Additionally, John T. McGrath, Jr. served as honorary judge for the Unique Installation Challenge Award. He is the Executive Director of INSTALL.
For more information, visit designawards.starnetflooring.com.