Marazzi USA’s Ventilated Wall System brings the U.S. architectural and design community an incredibly effective porcelain stoneware cladding solution for energy efficient buildings. Wildly popular in other parts of the world, the current U.S. focus on green building initiatives moves the system to the forefront of cutting edge cladding treatments.
Three major components comprise Marazzi’s system. First, an aluminum substructure grid is secured by brackets to the building’s exterior wall. This is followed by attachment of the thermal, waterproofed insulation layer. Finally, an external cladding layer of large-format porcelain stoneware with open joints is secured to the aluminum substructure, giving the building its unique “face.” Renovations are made simple, with no major structural changes to the building itself.
A wide range of benefits accrue from the combination of the structural components and the large-format porcelain tile:
• Cost Savings: Overall costs of porcelain are significantly less than natural stone products
• Aesthetics: External aesthetics are limited only by the imagination; unlimited color and finish options exist
• Installation Efficiencies: Installation time is decreased due to the simplicity of bracketing system
• Better Sound Insulation: Increased sound deadening contributes to healthier, safer living and working environments
• Eliminates Condensation Effect: Insulation positioned on outside of wall
• Thermal Stability: Ventilation cavity creates a “chimney effect” that removes excess radiant heat from building while the insulation prevents heat loss from within the building
For additional technical information, visit www.marazzi.it/en, click on Marazzi Engineering, and then Ventilated Walls.- Marianne Cox