Dignitaries and citizens of New York recently gathered to celebrate the first shipment of granite foundation stones for the Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Park. Representatives from general contractor F.J. Sciame Construction Co., the stone installer Port Morris Tile & Marble Corp., and MAPEI were also on hand.
During the ceremony, dignitaries signed their names on a plaque made from MAPEI’s Ultracolor Plus grout. Kerapoxy, a 100 percent-solids epoxy grout, has been specified to fill the joints between stones. Each block weighs approximately 72,000 pounds.
The park, located at the south end of Roosevelt Island, will be dedicated to U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt. A square plaza called The Room, measuring 72’ on each side with walls 12’ high rising on two sides, will highlight Roosevelt’s famous “Four Freedoms” speech, delivered on Jan. 6, 1941.