On January 2, 2013, President Obama signed the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012, which reinstated for 2012 -2013 the Federal Tax Credit of up to $500 on select energy-efficient products. Duette Architella honeycomb shades from Hunter Douglas, which created the popular honeycomb shade category more than 25 years ago, are among those products. They are the only window shades without add-on insulation systems to qualify for the credit.
The Federal Tax Credit opportunity is largely the same as in 2011, when consumers were eligible for a credit of 10 percent of the cost of qualifying Duette Architella shades, up to a maximum of $500, provided the expense meets the tax guidelines. The shades must be purchased and installed between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2013. Anyone who received a rebate of $500 or more from the similar tax credit that was in effect during 2010 and 2011 is not eligible for the credit for 2012-2013. For anyone who received a credit of less than $500 during these prior years, that amount will be deducted from the $500 credit for the 2012-2013 years. The 2012-2013 tax credit is subject to a lifetime limitation of $500.
With this new development, aligned Hunter Douglas dealers are in a unique position to offer an extremely compelling three-way savings opportunity to their customers on Duette Architella honeycomb shades:
- Up to $500 U.S. Federal Tax Credit
- Seasonal manufacturer’s rebates, including $25 per unit savings with the Energy Smart Style promotion rebate offer in effect through 4/2/2013; and $100 with the purchase of four Duette Architella shades (plus $25 per additional unit) with The Lighter Side of Living Savings Event, in effect from 4/13/2013 to 6/14/2013
- Reduced energy loss through windows by up to 40 percent, which can help lower heating and cooling costs
“The three-way savings opportunity makes purchasing Hunter Douglas window fashions an easy decision,” said Jim Mathews, Hunter Douglas Senior Vice President of Marketing. “As experience has proven, we are confident that the Federal Tax Credit will be a powerful incentive for consumers to buy and for dealers to build incremental sales volume. It’s especially important to get the word out quickly, as the tax credit is cumulative, and also applies to other energy-efficient products, though none as beautiful as Duette Architella shades with their array of color and design choices.”
THE FEDERAL TAX CREDIT OPPORTUNITY IS BACK/2
To assist dealers in promoting this great opportunity to their customers, Hunter Douglas has provided a dynamic package that includes a window decal, table tent card, take-one brochures, sample book hang tags and product danglers.
All energy-efficient products that qualify must be for existing homes, not new construction, and must be considered the customer’s principal residence. Certain Duette Architella and Alustra Duette Architella shades with qualifying fabric and lifting systems that are inside mounted over double-glazed windows may qualify for the tax credit. The LiteRise TrimKit, when used on certain Duette and Applause honeycomb shades and mounted over “low-e” double-pane glass windows may also qualify. See the Manufacturer’s Certification Statements at hunterdouglas.com/taxcredit for information on qualifying products and restrictions.
Here are some additional facts dealers and their customers need to know to ensure the process runs smoothly:
· The maximum credit is for 10 percent of the purchase price with a maximum of $500 – excluding sales tax, measuring and installation.
· Customers need to be provided with a detailed receipt as proof that they have purchased a Hunter Douglas product that qualifies for the tax credit. They should keep a copy of both their receipt and the Manufacturer’s Certification Statement(s) associated with the purchased product(s).
· Customers should be advised to consult their tax advisor to determine if they are eligible to claim this tax credit.