A fierce electrical fire claimed the inventory at a Brooklyn carpet and rug retailer. The early evening fire at Boro Rug and Carpet Warehouse destroyed all of the store's area rugs as well as more than 10,000 square yards of remnants. According to the store's owner Joseph Stern, no one was hurt in the Aug. 25 blaze. Additionally, a nearby warehouse, protected by a firewall door, was spared.

Stern told NFT that the fire started in the main showroom due to an electrical malfunction and swept through the entire building. He added that he and his staff set up a temporary office and showroom next door, and noted that he was being assisted by other retailers in the area.

"I'm tremendously overwhelmed by all of the support I've received from competitors calling to help out," said Stern, the son of Herman Stern of Belgotex Carpet. He also thanked mill salespeople who brought new samples to the new location.