"It is a tremendous honor to be recognized by USGBC with this award," said Mahoney. "Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner and Syracuse University Chancellor Nancy Cantor have been excellent partners and we appreciate our sustainability efforts being recognized in a global way."
"It is a great honor receiving this award from USGBC," said Miner. "I am glad to accept this recognition on behalf of the Syracuse community. We have worked very hard to become a leader in the green economy, working with start-up green tech firms, building LEED buildings across our city, renovating our airport to LEED standards, and creating a more sustainable community. I am proud to lead a city with this level of commitment to our green future."
M. Arthur Gensler Jr., Founder, Gensler; and Donald Simon, Attorney, Wendel, Rosen, Black & Dean, LLP received the President's Award. Founder of global architecture, design, planning and consulting firm, Gensler, M. Arthur Gensler has helped pioneer green building as a business visionary and legend of the design industry.
"It is an honor for me to be a recipient of this award, but it should really be given to all the members of the Gensler design firm for their commitment to the green building movement since the founding of the USGBC," said Gensler.
Simon co-founded his firm's Green Business Practice Group as well as USGBC's Northern California Chapter, and has been instrumental in leading the charge behind green and sustainability law.
"I'm humbled by this honor and eternally grateful for the opportunity USGBC has provided me to blend my passion with my profession," said Simon. "The green building movement's overwhelming and growing success is proof positive that a small group of passionate people can start a contagion that changes the world."
2012 Leadership Awards Recipients
- Leadership in the NGO Sector:Tom Darden, Executive Director, Make It Right Foundation
- Leadership in Advocacy:Tom Lent, Policy Director, Healthy Building Network; Bill Walsh, Founder, Healthy Building Network
- Leadership in the Residential Sector:Steve Saunders, CEO, Texas Energy Solutions
- Global Community Leadership Award:Nancy Cantor, Chancellor and President, Syracuse University; Joanie Mahoney, Onondaga County Executive; Stephanie A. Miner, Mayor of Syracuse
- President's Award:M. Arthur Gensler Jr., Founder, Gensler; Donald Simon, Attorney, Wendel, Rosen, Black & Dean, LLP